Thursday, September 17, 2009

Nature Notes: Dances With Geese

Out here in the country, mailboxes are all on one side of the road. Ours is on the other side, so I always pull into the driveway and stroll across the street to pick up our daily supply of junk and bills. The neighbors don't mind; it's the way things work out here.

Their geese, on the other hand, consider it an outrage.

These are them. I call them "The Girls," and since their appearance a few weeks ago, checking the mail is a daily event. The game goes like this:

Nearing the driveway, I slow down and turn off the radio. All the better to sneak up on 'em, you see. I park and open the car door. By now, they have spotted me and are heading my way from wherever it is geese lurk between victims. They stop. I look at them. They look at me.

Slowwwwly, I set my foot on the gravel. At the first crunch they raise the alarm, honking as if the hounds of hell had invaded their turf.

I start moving toward the box, my pace nonchalant, matching theirs. If all goes well, I get to the box first, grab the mail, and beat a hasty retreat before they reach me. However, if one of us starts to run there's a full-on, wing-flapping, shrieking-honking race for the goal.

It is important at such moments to consider the probable value of the prize. Because there's a pretty good chance somebody is about to get whacked and bitten for it. And that would most likely be me.

I'm pretty quick for an old broad, and I have yet to leave empty handed. But if The Girls ever look like they're gaining on me, I will ditch and run without a backward glance.

Their territory apparently ends at the blacktop, because once I've gained the street they settle into a cranky border-patrol mode, still grumbling and eyeing me closely, but never following me back to the car.

A saner woman would probably just turn around in the driveway, back up to the box, and reach into it from inside the car. But hey. Where's the fun in that?


Click here to see more Nature Notes.

8 comments:

BipolarBunny said...

Pretty geese.

Caron said...

They are pretty, but they're awfully cranky. And they have a mean nip, don't they? I know Canada Geese do - holy mackerel!

RA said...

LOL. I can imagine the fun. But I really hope you don't get bitten. Girls have to protect their territory, don't they ;). Still, they are lovely! Have a great week.

Carver said...

What a fun post. I guess they are guard geese. Love the shot and story.

Anonymous said...

I guess geese are like my wife always watching her territory.
Vary good post most of them out there are the same thing over and over.
Yoy have a good day Bye Bye Ed

Sallyacious said...

What a great story. I don't blame you for running. Geese are vicious.

Rambling Woods said...

Geese make great watchdogs Vicki. I miss hearing Benji and his companions sounding the alarm... Beautiful geese too....

Unseen India Tours said...

Some really beautiful and lovely shots !! Thanks for sharing the beauty !!Unseen Rajasthan