Monday, November 9, 2009

Signs of the Season: Deer Crossing

Deer Crossing

November is both the rutting season and hunting season for white tail deer. Add them together and you have whole herds of half-crazed critters jumping out at you from all directions.

I always take this road home because I love going through the tree tunnels. However, this section runs between woods on one side and a soybean field on the other. That's a recipe for roadkill if ever there was one.

There are always deer in the field. Always. This year, though, I have seen only five or six at a time. Last year it was common to see 15 or 20. Even with the reduced population, though, it's a good idea to slow to a crawl through here.

It takes a little longer to get home going this way, and it's a bit riskier than the alternative route -- especially if one is stupid enough to try snapping photos while driving. Still. Totally worth it.

For Nature Notes and more Signs of the Season, click over to Michelle's wonderful blog, Rambling Woods.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Snapping while driving and having a deer in front of you?
*grin*
I spare any more words on that fact, just be careful ;)!

Rambling Woods said...

I am sorry to read you are having internet issues..Love your monochrome pods... You may have missed the post about my hubby hitting a deer.. lots of damage to the car, none to him and I don't know how the deer made out... Be careful...Michelle

Sallyacious said...

What a beautiful place.

I hate driving in deer-laden areas. Hate it. Especially after dark. When you only know you've come upon a herd because you suddenly see all these eyes glowing at you from the side of the road.

I've been terribly lucky and not hit one yet. May you be equally fortunate.

Caron said...

I have a friend who won't drive much at night in rural areas because of the deer, but we have deer/car accidents all the time right here in the city. I know it is like this everywhere.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful photo - you get the sense of the movement of the car towards the deer. Here, we have to watch for horses (with riders) on the road.

MyMaracas said...

Nicole, yeah. I know. But the deer was actually much further away. This is cropped from a longer shot.

Michelle, I DID miss that! I'll be right over to catch up. Glad he's OK.

Sally, That road is my favorite part of the drive. Lots of old trees on either side form tunnels, green in summer and golden in winter. It alays makes me smile, deer or no deer.

Ds, they are indeed everywhere. It's amazing, really, given how many get run over or shot every year.

Frayed, thanks! I kind of liked the way it turned out too, with the sense of motion like that. Oddly, there are lots of horses out here but I never see anyone riding them.

Unknown said...

I am glad to hear the deer was farther away ;)
It is a cool shot though, like you have a dream of deer :)

MyMaracas said...

You're right, Nicole. I hadn't thought of it that way, but it is dream-like. I like it even better now. Thanks!