Saturday, January 30, 2010

Gatsby Again

I just wanted to say Thank You to all of you who have offered suggestions and sympathy about Gatsby! I am leaving glasses of water around for him and floating ice in his water bowl, and I have installed a Drinkwell fountain for him. He is drinking from all of them now.

His output is still much less than when he first started the s/d prescription food, but he seems to be doing OK. We heard him crying for a bit this evening, but it didn't seem to have anything to do with the litter box. Oddly, he was just playing with a piece of paper at the time.

There is one new wrinkle: He's getter fatter. Shaped-like-a-football fatter. The s/d prescription food must be higher in calories than his old stuff, because he isn't getting larger quantities. I'm still researching the raw food thing. I like the idea, but I don't want to do anything radical until I'm sure he's recovered.

It means so much to me that all of you have taken the time to post such great ideas and information here. I don't think Gatsby would be doing so well without all of you. So again - thanks, from both of us!

6 comments:

Chrissykat said...

Thank you for taking the time to post a Gatsby update. Glad to hear that he is drinking from all available sources. The fact that he's even interested in playing is always a good sign.

You're a good cat mom! >^..^<

MyMaracas said...

Thanks so much, Chrissy! And thanks for your tip on the water fountain. He is using every day now.

And by the way - I love the face on the cat you use in your profile. Is he/she yours?

:-)

Unknown said...

I agree with Chryssykat that it sounds great that Gatsby wants to play. How interesting that he's getting fatter. Hmmm. I wonder if his body is simply adjusting to the new diet.

Rambling Woods said...

I am really happy to hear this as I have been wondering..I have concerns about a raw diet as you can't get the vitamins and minerals consistently that you get from a real pet food. I hope you can find out exactly what he would need for his issues and at his age etc...

Chrissykat said...

Oh...thank you! Yes, she is my very sweet, almost 16yr old, love of my life beautiful little girl (but I'm not biased or anything!).

You are more than welcome for the tip. I'm just so happy to hear that he is using his new fountain every day. Way to go!

Nishant said...

thanks for your tip on the water fountain. He is using every day now.

Work From Home