Sunday, January 17, 2010

World's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

Sick of your New Year diet already? Me too. Besides, the kid will be needing a care package soon. So I thought I'd share my best cookies with you.

I like these because A. They are small. B. They are crunchy. and C. They are pretty, because the dough doesn't melt down into a thin puddle around the chips and nuts. I hate that.

Enjoy!

*******************************************************

Grandma's Oatmeal Tollhouse Cookies


Preheat oven to 350. If you have a convection oven, you can use three racks at once on 325. The ones in the photo were done in convection bake mode.

Beat together in a mixer until smooth:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup Crisco
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup water
1 egg

In a separate bowl, stir together:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and stir just long enough to incorporate.

Add:
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups old fashioned (long-cooking) oats
1 package of dark chocolate chips
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto very lightly greased non-stick cookie sheets. Bake 16 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Let cookies set a minute on the pans, then remove to racks to cool.

Makes 6-7 dozen

9 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

You are killing me and and my diet. LOL.. I am going to copy this because it sounds better than my Betty Crocker recipe...Michelle

Sandra said...

Hi, I love your blog. I have been looking for a new layout and I really like the one you have. Do you know which one you are using. Is it a template from Blogger? And did the page color come with the layout? Thank you, so much if you can help me., Oh by the way, I love your cookie recipe, I have copied it down, as I want to bake them soon!!
Sandra

Sallyacious said...

That sounds like good eatin' dough. My poor father and husband both prefer baked cookies to the dough. Both rarely get to actually eat much in the way of cookies because everyone else has eaten all the dough before baking can happen.

MyMaracas said...

Michelle - sorry about the diet. Maybe just tuck away the recipe for a few weeks. ;-)

Sandra, Welcome! The template is Minima Stretch. The template and color choices are available in your Blogger layout section.

Sally, my kids and husband prefer the dough, too. Just use the equivalent Eggbeater to replace the raw real egg and have at it.

myletterstoemily said...

i can not wait to try these. i love oatmeal chocolate
chip cookies.

i have one that adds peanut butter, which is pretty yummy, if you ever want it.

blessings,
lea

MyMaracas said...

Myletters, yes indeed I would like that recipe! I've always thought peanut butter would be a great addition to banana bread, too, but haven't tried it.

Caron said...

I also like cookies that don't turn into a puddle. I will try your recipe. Is the oatmeal really noticeable...I have to deal with a picky eater or take some to work so I don't eat them all myself.

MyMaracas said...

News, if you're trying to hide the oatmeal, it's better to use the quick-cooking kind. It's harder to recognize.

joco said...

Hiya Vicki,

How very brave of you to bake cookies you can't even nibble at yourself.
I'm afraid I can't do it. Haven't bought sugar for ten years or so.