Thursday, October 15, 2009

Nature Notes: Hush

It's a gray day.

I have it off, and I had so many things planned. An early morning foray into a strange section of the woods, renewing my driver's license, a trip to the library and a stop at an antique store. Grocery shopping, laundry, making a pie. Phone calls, paperwork, bills. But ... it's just so gray.

And I am so tired. Asthma all night long. I thought it was almost over, but it was only taking a breather. So to speak.

So I didn't get very far today, just to the front porch to sit in my old green chair for a while.

It is silent here now. No more crickets, no more frogs, no birdsong. The leaves still whisper though, those that still cling to the trees: Sshhhhhhh.

I wonder how much trouble I'll be in if I get caught with an outdated address on my license.

Rain is falling fitfully, in stops and starts, as if distracted and forgetful of its mission: Sshhhhhhh.

I begin to consider doing laundry. Surely I can manage that, at least.

From the south woods, a murmuration of starlings rises, easily a thousand strong, flying low in a rush of wings: Sshhhhhhh.

I smile. It's a gray day. A nothing day. And that's all there is to it: Sshhhhhhh.


Click here to see more Nature Notes.

12 comments:

Caron said...

You have captured it perfectly. I'm sorry about the fatigue and the asthma, but for the mood of the day, you have created the feeling in my day. Hush...one of my favorite words.

Leora said...

I'm sorry to hear about your asthma, but it seems you can appreciate nature. Love the monochrome on the right...it is quieting to the soul.

Gel said...

Hello,

I also have asthma and adore puns "breather!" :D; I hope you're feeling better soon! I enjoyed how you captured the mood of your day splendidly in words as well as in photo. (That Shhhhhh adds well as well as the sentences like "the leaves still whisper" "rain is falling fitfully", "a nothing day." Very well written.

Sallyacious said...

Speaking as an asthmatic myself, I feel your wheezing. I'm so sorry you're struggling with it right now. Not being able to breathe is so scary.

I'm glad you get a day of peace after a night of that.

(If you ever want to hear about all of the strange things my other asthmatic friends and I have done in search of relief--the ones that worked, anyway--let me know.)

I think grey days are necessary sometimes. I bet that's what the world looks like to a caterpillar in a coccoon.

Phill said...

What a beautiful way to explain the lazy hush that a grey day brings. I was feeling just this way last week.

Rambling Woods said...

I am so sorry, my daughter has asthma and I have watched it. Awful scary stuff. You did capture the mood though..too quiet..too quiet.. Michelle

Unknown said...

Hope you have more energy today. Sometimes it's good to take time to rest - asthma or not. The photo looks peaceful, which I hope reflects your current feelings.

RJ Flamingo said...

Hope you're feeling better!:-) I think everyone needs a day like that, imposed on us or otherwise. You have such lovely surroundings to enjoy it in, too.

Char said...

Love the pictures, and can visualize you sitting in that old green chair. Bet there have been many a prose concocked from there.
Hope you are feeling better. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you are sick again. Forget about all you have to do as you can only do what you can do and you will never be done. As for seeing the birds and hearing the crickets think about all the poeple that dont hear the crickets and see the birds all they see and hear is that wal-mart has a sell today. I hope things get better for you. Bye Bye Ed

Nicole said...

The shot is beautiful!
Sorry to hear about the asthma attack and the gray days :(
Hope you feel better by now!

Better get that license done.
A friend of mine got caught with the license being due on the same day and he had to show up in court :(

Take care!

Unseen India Tours said...

Sorry to hear bout your Asthma !! But the shot is nice !!